Purposes and Objectives
In the broadest sense, it is envisaged that Pacific Friends will act as a bridge between the Global Fund and the countries and territories of the Pacific region as they develop plans and strategies to combat the three diseases.
A key objective of Pacific Friends will be to inform public, private and policymaking communities of the problems posed by AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria in the Pacific, and to suggest possible strategies for addressing these pandemics. This will involve the publication of timely and insightful research papers, policy briefs, opinion pieces, open letters and other forays into the public debate. We envisage that these publications will cover a range of related topics, such as disease prevention and treatment, global health policy and governance, overseas development assistance, human security and state stability, innovations in health science, and best practices in international organisation conduct and funding.
Pacific Friends of the Global Fund is an advocacy organisation dedicated to building strong political and financial support for the life-saving work of the Fund and the fight against HIV, TB and Malaria in the Pacific region.
In pursuing this goal Pacific Friends will:
- Actively engage with governments, policy leaders, civil society organisations and decision makers to achieve sustained funding and support for the Global Fund;
- Raise awareness of HIV, TB and Malaria and the work of the Global Fund among policy leaders and decision makers through forums, publication of papers, research, policy briefs, opinion pieces and through appropriate participation in public debate;
- Promote scientifically validated, best practice measures for prevention, treatment and care of the three diseases in the Pacific region;
- Highlight the need to protect the human rights of affected communities and people living with the three diseases, especially in regard to the rights of women and children; and
- Make proposals on the future role of Friends organisations to assist the Global Fund in the discharge of its world wide mission.